EDITOR/ SR. WRITER
ART/ CREATIVE DIRECTOR
Keith “Catfish” Sutton
John N. Felsher
Copyright © 2021 CatfishNow Online Magazine. A KMS, Inc. Company. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.
Front Cover/ Credit:
Robin East does not let the cold weather stop him. He is shown here setting up on a cold weather morning. (Ron Presley Photo)
Stay Warm and Fish Comfortably
It is almost unbelievable that it is already the middle of February. Don’t let that keep you from going after some really big catfish this time of year. They will bite!!
Catfishing in the cold weather requires a little more preparation and protection. A few things to consider are:
- Bundle up with the proper clothing to match the weather conditions
- Multiple clothing layers will keep body warmth in and the cold out
- A good rain suite which matches the conditions. There are not many on the market that really keep you dry. A new company, Bucknbass, has a new one on the market that I like.
- Head covers such as sock hats and layered hoodies are best. Most body temperature losses occur through our heads, hands, and feet.
- A good pair of gloves is a must. For fishing with fingertips exposed or not, I would get Gorilla Grips. You can fish with them yet keep your hands warm. There are a couple of companies that produce hand warmers that you can place in your pockets. You can buy them almost anywhere that hunting items are sold.
- For the feet, get a good pair of either low or mid high top insulated boots. Again, there many places to get these and many are water resistant. The same companies that sell hand warmers, also produce versions for the feet. Inexpensive, but very desirable.
- Take a thermos of hot chocolate or coffee to warm your inner body.
- Before departing your residence, be sure to test all boat batteries as the cold weather really negatively affects them and this will keep you from getting on the water and getting stranded.
Lastly and most importantly, wear life jackets. Ensure that they are still serviceable and if cannister types, ensure they are in the green. They can save your life.
This time of year can be really good catfishing for big fish. Prepare accordingly and take advantage of it.
Live and enjoy the outdoors is my motto.
Be safe and take a child fishing.
God Bless and Good Fishing!